Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lady Gaga Meeting With Obama To Discuss Anti-Bullying Law




The devastating suicide of a boy in upstate New York has prompted Lady Gaga to meet with President Obama for a discussion on anti-bullying legislation. 14-year-old Jamey Rodemeyer, a high school student from Buffalo, took his life on Sundayafter being tormented by classmates for his homosexuality. The tragedy has the singer up in arms, calling on support from her fans and the president for young people in Jamey’s situation. “Bullying must become be illegal. It is a hate crime,”she tweeted yesterday. “I am meeting with our President. I will not stop fighting. This must end. Our generation has the power to end it. Trend it#MakeALawForJamey.”
Though no stranger to gay rights, this case has special significance to Mother Monster. Several months back, Jamey posted his own “It Gets Better” support video on Youtube, in which he cited Lady Gaga as a role model and pillar of strength. “She lets me know that I was born this way,” he said at the clip’s conclusion. “Just love yourself and you’re set. And I promise you, it’ll get better.” But the bullying didn’t cease for Jamey. “No one in my school cares about preventing suicide,” Jamey posted to his Tumblr just a few weeks before his death. “I always say how bullied I am, but no one listens. … What do I have to do so people will listen to me?”
The unbelievably tragic tale has Gaga, and millions of others, furious and heartbroken. “The past days I’ve spent reflecting, crying, and yelling,” she wrote. “I have so much anger. It is hard to feel love when cruelty takes someones life.” She hopes that the creation of a law making bullying a hate crime will save others from the agonizing abuse Jamey suffered. No official date for the presidential meeting has been set as of yet, but we’ll let you know as soon as we hear.



Love Ya Bunches

No comments:

Post a Comment