Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ben Affleck, EW’s Entertainer of the Year: ‘My wife is a very polite & kind woman’



Ben Affleck is named Entertainer of the Year in this week’s Entertainment Weekly. He’s been all over the place lately, and that’s not going to change until awards season has wrapped. EW has a preview of their interview with Ben, and there’s nothing particularly notable about it. He’s been doing this song and dance for a while, and he wants us to know he’s ready for what comes next: the accolades from his industry and the awards. So he’s telling the same story in slightly different ways – he’s a family man now and he’s learned from his past. Somehow he keeps giving his wife, Jennifer Garner, the short end of the stick though. In the context that he’s calling her “polite” and “kind” here, it’s understandable. He’s talking about how she responded to his 70s Argoshag beard, and she probably acted superficially “nice” about it and didn’t give him too much sh*t, while making it known she wanted it gone. But this is familiar from Ben. He’s called Jennifer “kind” before, when asked what drew her to him, and added “it’s one of those things where it becomes almost aggravating at times.” So it’s telling that he’s using similar wording here. You get the impression that Garner being “kind” gets under his skin because she’s not confrontational at all. Here’s more from EW:
Having captivated moviegoers both in front of and behind the camera with Argo, Ben Affleck earned the number one spot on our annual list of the most talented and original performers who entertained us in 2012.
Fifteen years after he bounded onto the Hollywood scene in 1997′s Good Will Hunting, the 40-year-old Affleck is now older and wiser — and may very well be headed back to the Oscar stage for his political thriller about the real-life covert CIA mission that freed six diplomats from Tehran during the Iran hostage crisis. “I had very low expectations for Argo‘s performance,” says the leading man-turned-director. “I just hoped that over time people would find the movie. Also, being at a place in my life and my career where I know what I’m trying to do, it’s different than being 26. When you’re younger and have the early success that I had — it sounds like the worst Hallmark cliche — but I didn’t have anyone to share it with. I don’t mean I wanted someone to sit by the fire with. But when you have a family and children, you kind of see yourself reflected in them. I want to make the kinds of movies that my kids are proud of. I have higher standards, in a way, for them.”
Not that everyone back at the Affleck household was thrilled about his shaggy ’70s Method hairdo and beard. Says Affleck of his wife Jennifer Garner’s reaction: “My wife is a very polite and kind woman. She and the kids did not like the beard. It had an exposed wire vibe. It was hated in my home.”
[From Popwatch.EW.com]
That’s the Ben I know, the guy who will tell you what’s going on at home but think he’s playing it cool. This is probably why he got into so much trouble during the J.Lo phase – he couldn’t hide his douchiness. Now that he’s matured and has a family, he still can’t help letting you know his issues. I honestly don’t think he’s a bad guy or anything. I like him as a person and I find him very talented and deserving of this success. I just see him trying to play the game and ending up a little too candid, just like before.





Here’s Ben with his daughters outside the dentist on 11-27-12. Ben and Jen are shown out on 11-2-12. Credit: FameFlynet


Love Ya Bunches

No comments:

Post a Comment