Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rapper Lil B Releases 'I'm Gay' Cover Art

via Towleroad News #gay by Andy Towle on 6/15/11

Imgay

Rapper Lil B, who made headlines at Coachella when he announced, "I'm going to do the most controversial thing in hip hop...i'm gonna show you that words don't mean s**t. I'm gonna make an album called 'I'm gay,'" has released the cover art for that album.

Complex posted the art, which shows a transition from slavery to freedom: 

The cover pays homage to Marvin Gaye's cover for I Want You, which Camp Lo previously paid homage to on the art for Uptown Saturday Night.

Lil B clarifies the I'm Gay album title with an 'I'm Happy' in parentheses. So what kind of statement is he making here?

GLAAD released a statement to XXL magazine when Lil B announced his album title: "As a lyricist, Lil B knows that words matter. Slurs have the power to fuel intolerance. We hope that Lil B's album title is not just a gimmick, and is really a sincere attempt to be an ally. He has the platform and the voice. We hope he uses it in a positive way."

Lil B  told MTV News that he was serious:

"I got major love for the gay and lesbian community, and I just want to push less separation and that's why I'm doing it.I hope GLAAD sees that I'm taking initial steps to break barriers."

He also said that he had been receiving death threats since he made the announcement:

"People been hitting me up like, 'I'm gonna bash your head in,' 'you f----t,' 'I'm gonna kill you.'...I'm not gonna stop and I'm not scared of anybody on earth. That's why I [titled the album I'm Gay] and nobody gonna stop me."

Join Pearle E. Gates on facebook

Join Pearle E. Gates on Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment